Thursday, June 18, 2009

Julian and Joy...and analogous too.

There definitely was a striking similarity between Julian and Joy (Hulga). We see the educated, less conscious of outdated social graces, young people, driven by their circumstances into being stuck with a mother that they seem to loathe. I feel that the two characters carried themselves as if they were enlightened with all understanding. I really relate to these stories, because I have a mother that, I honestly felt was being described in both these stories (respectivley). Just about the only things that seemed ultimately different between the two seemed to be the setting. I even found the mothers to be very similar. It seems to fit the style of the author to deal with these parent child relationships. Makes us wonder what Oconnor's relationship was like with her family, or if there is a simiarity. I like the use of her roman catholicism in the story...the martyr, the references to Rome and the imagery.

2 comments: